Is your firm doing everything it can to protect client confidentiality? If your management and operational arms aren’t speaking the same language about confidentiality you may be living with a false sense of security. As technology increases the volume and visibility of information across the firm, significant risk may loom. And with clients increasingly taking interest in the protections, practices and controls employed by their law firms it’s vitally important to understand and adapt to these expectations. This session will provide law firm General Counsel, Loss Prevention, Conflicts and Risk stakeholders with key concepts they can apply in their firms. As the first session in the 2008 Risk Roundtable series, this event will focus on assessment and benchmarking. Presentations by industry risk management experts will explore confidentiality drivers, standards and compliance strategies. They will be joined by a representative from the insurance industry who will discuss their perspective on confidentiality risk management. Speakers:
- Michael Guernon Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
- Richard May Managing Director, Marsh
- Nancy Beauchemin President, InOutsource, LLC
- John Hall CEO, IntApp, Inc.
This series will explore issues including::
- How client and regulatory confidentiality requirements affect how firms must protect client information
- How firm culture affects risk, compliance and confidentiality issues
- Obstacles that attorneys face in managing client information in accordance Professional Responsibility guidelines, including common misperceptions and potential landmines
- The role of technology and challenges of ensuring systems are being used in accordance with firm risk management policies
- Improving client information practices — steps organizations can take to identify and address gaps, improve practices and educate attorneys and staff.
Date: May 22, 2007 Host: Clifford Chance Panelists: Jim Paul, Esq.
Partner and General Counsel
Clifford Chance US LLP
John Shutkin, Esq.
Shearman & Sterling LLP
Date: May 18, 2007 Host: Foley & Lardner Panelists: Beth Chiaiese National Director of Loss Prevention Foley & Lardner LLP Patty Fitzpatrick
Director of Practice Management
Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
John Koski, Esq.
Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal LLP
Senior Manager of Loss Prevention
Kirkland & Ellis LLP
Loss Prevention Counsel
Attorney’s Liability Assurance Society
Jeff Schwarz CIO and Information Systems Partner
McDermott Will & Emery LLP
Date: May 3, 2007 Host: Foley & Lardner Panelists: Mike Guernon
Business Information Manager
Cooley Godward Kronish LLP
Peter Krakaur, Esq.
Chief Knowledge Officer
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
Firmwide Manager of New Business & Conflicts
Morrison & Foerster LLP Deb Lindberg, Esq.
Firmwide Director of Conflicts and New Business Intake
Kirkpatrick & Lockhart Preston Gates Ellis LLP